Job Title: Professional Tutor
Salary Range: $15.00 to $15.00
Status / FLSA Status: PT (Non-regularly scheduled)/ Nonexempt
Classification: Professional Support
Department: Academic Support
Reports To: Director, Academic Support
Location: Canton Campus or Macomb Campus
Date Updated: August 2021
The Professional Tutor provides tutoring services to individuals seeking assistance with coursework in a variety of subjects, but with a focus in the areas of math and science. Tutoring can be provided in person or via online delivery methods. Tutoring may occur on either the Macomb or Canton campuses.
1. Conducts live tutoring sessions when requested (via phone, face-to-face, or another synchronous web communication tool).
2. Successfully collaborates with instructors to assist students with comprehension and demonstration of knowledge/skills.
3. Provides availability for appointments in TutorTrac and enters notes regarding each tutoring session.
4. Provides weekly reports and participation data to supervisor.
5. Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. A Bachelor’s degree in assigned discipline, Education, or related field is required.
2. Teaching or tutoring experience is strongly preferred.
3. Experience using Microsoft applications with a high degree of accuracy and personal computer experience is required.
4. Ability to work with others in a professional manner while attempting to achieve a common goal.
5. Ability to work independently with a high level of initiative.
6. Must possess organizational abilities and superior interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
7. Must possess the ability to: manage multiple and competing priorities; deal with conflict appropriately; withstand pressure and remain calm in tense situations. Must perform assignments with accuracy; flexibility; dependability; responsibility; in a team environment and with a positive attitude
8. Must have a valid driver's license or reliable transportation.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Physical demands for this position include the ability to regularly sit, use hands and finger, talk and hear. This position requires limited standing, walking, reaching, stooping / kneeling. Vision requirements for this position include close vision including the ability to view text from a computer monitor. This position requires some driving, the majority of which is within the College district.
Work environment for this position includes typical office environment with no extremes in temperature, noise, and limited physical risk.